The Anglo-Russian Research Network (ARRN), in association with Pushkin House (London) and the University of Exeter (Department of Modern Languages & Cultures), is pleased to announce the following programme of online events:
- Friday 6 November: ‘The Ark of the Translator – Muireann Maguire on John Bowring’
- Friday 13 November: ‘Marian Fell – Translation Work as a Reflection of Life Ventures’ – Anna Maslenova
- Friday 20 November: ‘Around and About the Other Shore: Russian Political Émigrés in London’ – Ben Phillips
- Friday 27 November: ‘Translating Great Russian Literature – Penguin Russian Classics’ – Cathy McAteer
- Friday 4 December: ‘The “other side of the picture”: the Soviet City and Countryside in 1930s British Travel Accounts’ – Nicholas Hall
- Friday 11 December: ‘Contemporary Russian Literature in Translation: Not the Next Tolstoy’ – Sarah Gear
For more information, see Pushkin House’s website – https://www.pushkinhouse.org/events
Future reading groups:
In addition, the ARRN invites proposals for reading groups on any aspect of Anglo-Russian history of cultural relations and literary/translation/reception/art history studies during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries (c. 1880–1950). Presenters should speak for roughly one hour; access to all reading materials is provided to registered participants in advance. The ARRN is keen to build relations with the academic community in Russia; contributions from Russian colleagues would therefore be particularly welcome.
About the Network:
The ARRN was established in 2011 by Rebecca Beasley and Matthew Taunton to bring together research students, scholars and members of the general public interested in the influence of Russian and Soviet culture and politics in Britain in the period 1880–1950. It has benefitted from the support of Pushkin House, and has received financial support from the Leverhulme Trust, the Arts and Humanities Research Council, and the English Faculty, University of Oxford. It can be found on Twitter (@anglorussianrn).
If you’d like to get involved, be featured on our website, added to our mailing list, and/or for more information, please contact Dr Ben Phillips (email@example.com), Nicholas Hall (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Anna Maslenova (email@example.com).